Ways to Make a Gift
There are several ways to make a gift to SSNC.
Checks made payable to SSNC can be mailed to the attention of Judy Loura, Executive Director, Senior Services for Northern California, 1525 Post Street, San Francisco, CA 94109 or you can call 202-7805 and use your VISA or MasterCard to make a gift.
Planned gifts such as Charitable Gift Annuities and Remainder Trusts are a wonderful way to leave a legacy and increase your income at the same time.
For more information about a gift of appreciated assets or any planned giving donation types, please contact SSNC Executive Director, Judy Loura, at 415-202-7805.
This is a gift of cash, securities, personal or real property. The value of this type of gift is that it is immediately available to SSNC to support program needs. Current gifts may be given to the Unrestricted Fund or for specific designations (e.g., Tomorrow Fund, Community Services, Health Center, Special Projects).
This is a gift of cash, appreciated securities, or real property that is transferred to SSNC for future use. SSNC does not receive support from this type of gift until the income beneficiaries are deceased. A planned gift will keep alive the memory and generosity of the donor and will ultimately support the donor’s designated interests within NCPHS.
The following are types of Planned Gift Instruments offered by SSNC
- Bequest ~ This is a gift that is given from one's estate at life's end. Often donors leave a percentage, or a specific amount, of their estates to SSNC. Donors may also designate SSNC as the ultimate beneficiary of their life insurance, IRAs, and/or 401K accounts-which can create significant tax savings for their estates.
- Pooled Income Fund ~ The NCPHS Pooled Income Fund is a trust funded by a number of donors, each retaining income for life. These funds are invested primarily in corporate bonds and interest earned is distributed quarterly according to the number of "shares" each donor has invested. Appreciated assets accepted.
Minimum Investment: $5,000
- Gift Annuity ~ A Gift Annuity is a written contract that guarantees lifetime income and is issued through the Presbyterian Foundation. The donor's income amount is fixed for life based on the age of the donor at the time of the gift. A percent of the income is usually tax-free.
Minimum investment: $10,000
- Annuity Trust ~ SSNC Trustees normally invest Trust gifts in a combination of stock and bond funds. The donor's income may be negotiated with the SSNC Executive Director, and the dollar amount is then fixed for life.
Minimum investment: $50,000
- Unitrust ~ A Unitrust pays a percentage of its value to the beneficiary each year. The donor's income percentage may be negotiated with SSNC Trustees. Since the Unitrust is re-valued each January 1, the income may grow over the years as an inflation hedge.
Minimum investment: $100,000
- Lead Trust ~ The donor transfers an asset into a trust that will pay annual income to SSNC for a period of years (e.g. 20). At the end of the trust term, the property is transferred to the donor’s designated beneficiary (often to a descendant generation), at a reduced gift/estate tax cost.
Minimum investment: $100,000
Pooled income funds, charitable gift annuities and trusts provide the donor(s) with the following benefits:
- Lifetime income, usually at a favorable interest rate
- Immediate tax deduction, usually near 50% of the gift amount
- Little or no capital gains tax on appreciated property
- The ability to give much larger gifts, usually out of capital assets, because the donor receives lifetime income.